ArcGIS Software for Your PC
The steps below walk you through the process of Downloading and Installing ArcGIS Pro on your personal computer.
Before you proceed, please check the ArcGIS Pro System Requirements:
System and Hardware Requirements:
Be aware that ArcGIS Pro software can only be installed and used on a computer running the Windows operating system.
Students and faculty members who need to install ArcGIS Desktop 10.8 or any older version of the software can contact Marc Mokrech at firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
Download ArcGIS Pro
Follow these steps to download ArcGIS Pro from ArcGIS Online.
- Navigate to the UHCL ArcGIS Online organization.
- Click Sign In (top right).
- Select the Enterprise UHCL login. Type uhcl for ArcGIS organization's URL. Check "Remember this URL" and "Sign me in automatically." Click Continue.
- Sign in with your UHCL password. Click Next.
- Enter your UHCL password. Click Next.
- Stay signed in? Click Yes. Note that your username appears at the top right.
- Click your username and click My Settings.
- On the My Settings page, click the Licenses tab (on left). Note that your user type, role, and assigned licenses are listed.
- Next to ArcGIS Pro, click Download.
- In the Download window, review the Language setting.
- Click Download.
- An executable file (.exe) is downloaded to your computer.
Install ArcGIS Pro
After you download ArcGIS Pro and review the system requirements, you are ready to install the software.
Follow the steps below to install ArcGIS Pro:
- Browse to the location where you downloaded ArcGIS Pro. Double-click the executable (.exe) file to start the installation process.
- Accept the destination folder to which files are extracted or click Browse to browse to a different folder. The default destination folder is
\Users\ \Documents\ArcGIS Pro. Click Next. A message informs you when the files have been successfully extracted. The Launch the setup program check box is checked by default. Note: If you want to install the software later, uncheck the Launch the setup program check box. When you're ready to install, browse to the destination folder and double-click ArcGISPro.msi. Click Close. On the Welcome to the ArcGIS Pro Setup program window, click Next. Review the license agreement and choose an option: If you agree to the terms, click the option to accept the agreement and click Next. If you do not agree to the terms, click Cancel to exit the installation.
Choose an installation context option: Click Anyone who uses this computer (the default) for a per-machine installation. Click Only for me for a per-user installation.
Click Next. Select whether to install ArcGIS Pro, ArcGIS Pro Intelligence, or both. By default (recommended), ArcGIS Pro is installed and ArcGIS Pro Intelligence is not installed. Accept the default location of \Program Files\ArcGIS\Pro\ or click Change to specify a different folder. If you choose a non-default location, it is recommended that the path include a folder and not be the root location of a drive. The modified path does not append \ArcGIS\Pro\ by default. Click Next. The option to participate in the Esri User Experience Improvement is checked by default. Uncheck the box if you don't want to participate. (You can change your participation status after ArcGIS Pro is installed.) Click Install. When the installation is completed, the option to Run ArcGIS Pro now is checked by default. Uncheck the box if you don’t want to start the application immediately. Click Finish.
License ArcGIS Pro
UHCL authorizes ArcGIS Pro with a Named User license assigned to you through the university’s ArcGIS Online Organization.
- Start ArcGIS Pro. The ArcGIS Sign In window appears.
- Select Enterprise login.
- Type uhcl for ArcGIS organization’s URL. Check "Remember this URL" and "Sign me in automatically."
- Click Continue. On the next screen, Click UHCL.
- Sign in with your UHCL email. Click Next.
- Enter your UHCL password.
- Click Yes.
For more information about ArcGIS Desktop licensing, click here.
Update ArcGIS Pro
When a new software update for ArcGIS Pro is available:
- If you have kept the default option to be notified when an update is available, you will see a notification appear when you start ArcGIS Pro. Click the notification window to open the settings menu.
(If you are not receiving desktop notifications, you can view update availability by clicking Settings from the main menu and navigating to About.)
- If an update is available, it will be listed on the About section of the settings menu. Click the Download Now button to install the update, following the instructions on the screen.
Note: You will need to be logged into the UHCL ArcGIS Online server in order to successfully download the software update.
Updates are not automatically installed, so it is important to periodically check for them, especially if your desktop notifications are turned off.